Friday, July 9, 2010

God's Love

As many of you know our family has had our share of cancer over the past 15 months as it has ushered my sister and dad into Heaven. Cancer was their vessel home and now they live victoriously with Christ. I had purchased a book for my sister when she was first diagnosed with cancer. The name of the book is What Cancer Cannot Do and it sits on the tableside in my guest room. I was recently in the room as I noticed it laying there and realized I had never really read it. I had retrieved the book after Beth died and there it has sat for over a year unopened.

I decided to read it and how blessed I am this morning. Cancer is not only physical but it can also be symbolized as cancer of the heart and soul. All of us suffer adversity and need healing, encouragement and compassion as we face our own challenges whatever they may be. I would like to share a page from this book with you as we apply the words to whatever we may find challenging in our lives today. May it bless you as much as it has blessed me.

“For when we are most afraid, his love calms us; when we feel abandoned, he surrounds us with his presence; when we feel we have lost our way, he lights up the darkness; when we are restless with pain, he soothes us with his touch; when we lose heart, thinking we will never be well again, he restores our soul. He does this through songs in the night and Scriptures by day; through the private prayers of friends and the corporate intercession of the church; through the testimony of survivors and the shining leadership of saints who die in the Lord. But most of all, he does this through his ever-vigilant, wholly sufficient, eternally satisfying love. Cancer (or whatever) cannot cripple God’s love. He loved us from the beginning, he loves us through disease, he loves us in and out …, and he loves us to the end, where, someday, we will know no more tears, no more sorrow, and no more death – only the incredible wonder of his love.” p. 7

We all are crippled with something whether it is disease, fear, bitterness or loneliness but our state of spirit will be untouched if we submit everything to the love of God from which nothing can separate us.

No comments: