Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Victorious Way

“I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord. Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust.” Psalm 40:1-4

Like many of the Psalms this was written by David. David seemed to possess an unquenchable passion for Christ. He ate, drank and breathed Christ in every facet of life with a few backslides that every other Christian experiences. I believe we can use these 4 verses to sum up the Christian life and responsibility to bring others to Christ.

1 – ‘I wait patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.’ – We will experience long running trials and endure suffering in this life. Notice that David didn’t say that ‘he came to me’ but rather ‘he turned to me.’ This infers that He is right by our side and never leaves us.

2 – ‘He lifted me out…and set my feet…a firm place to stand.’ – He responds and acts on our prayers. Our seasons of trials are temporary and He will provide calm times again. Through His deliverance we will get our bearings again and return to a calm life.

3 – ‘He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.’ - Our trials of pain will provide a testimony to others. We will serve as a witness to His faithfulness and deliverance. We will give deposition for the record much like a witness in a case does for their jury.

4 – ‘Many will see…and…trust in the Lord.’ – Our trials will produce fruit of the Spirit to be shared with others. Our suffering produces the fruit of salvation as God is honored and glorified through our testimony bringing others to Christ.

5 – ‘Blessed is the man who makes the Lord his trust.’ – Our reward for trusting God through our trials and testifying to His deliverance and love will bring God’s best for our lives.

These are the blueprints for life with Christ and our responses as exemplified by David:

Suffering, Promise, Deliverance, Testimony and Blessings.

No comments: