Sunday, July 11, 2010

Press On

“You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings…Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted…But as for you, continue in what you have learned…Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season…keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work…discharge all the duties of your ministry…The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.” 2 Timothy 4:10-22

The thought was complete and the pen was laid down as his ministry was drawing to a close. Paul’s last recorded letter in the Bible was to his ‘son in the faith,’ young Timothy. Paul cared for him deeply and worried about the effects that the secular world would have on the ministry. His charge to Timothy was one we should heed. Paul took his spiritual responsibility to degrees we might not have endured. He knew the spiritual temperature was rising against those who supported Christianity. Paul’s life was certainly a ministry but his letters were his legacy.

Think of all the times we have written a few thoughts down on greeting cards for the sake of encouraging someone going through tough times. Imagine if every word was going to appear in the Holy Writ for all to read down the road. Paul had no idea that his words would become the spiritual standard for which we should live our lives. He was simply proclaiming his devotion to Christ and encouraging another ambassador of the Great Commission. By this point, Paul knew the end was near and he would most likely suffer a horrible death as many Christian martyrs had before, yet he took the time to write, encourage, love and give caution to someone else.

I think of my dad and grandmother as I read my commentary regarding the last sentence of Paul’s recorded writings, ‘The Lord be with your spirit. Grace be with you.’ My Bible commentary states, ‘The fragrance of his life and testimony abides with us still, and we shall meet him again and talk with him…’ p. 2128

I know all about my grandmother and dad’s teaching, their way of life, their purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance and sufferings. I have gotten many notes over the course of my life from them during their times of trials as they encouraged me, loved me and shared their faith with me apart from their own sufferings. All of these letters sound the same as they are inspired by the same Author.

Our walk of faith is written in ink on the blueprint in the life of a Christian. Great Christians like these may have departed but their ink is still wet!

No comments: