Friday, July 2, 2010

"I'm Telling!"

“But Jonah was greatly displeased and became angry. He prayed to the LORD, ‘O Lord, is this not what I said when I was still at home…I knew you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity …’ But the LORD replied, ‘Have you any right to be angry?’” Jonah 4:1-4

Every parent has heard the battle cry- ‘I’m telling!’ It used to send chills up my spine much like fingernails on a chalkboard. The anguish of the ‘victim’ was only matched by the anticipated delight of the punishment of the ‘perpetrator’. This was the plea of Jonah as he pouted to God that the region for which he was sent to minister had been forgiven. He didn’t feel they were worthy of forgiveness and had rather had them destroyed by God’s wrath. This one is too close for comfort! Not that I desire for anyone to experience calamity but on some level we all want justice served up our way.

I have watched a person in my life continuously live out life through the ego, self-will and self-centeredness. Many times I have pointed out to God these transgressions much like Jonah did. I have sat by much like a little child tattle-telling and anticipating the parent to step in and condemn. Now understand that I am not proud of this but simply am being honest.

I am reminded of the beautiful verse that follows up one of the most well-known Bible passages of John 3:16. The verse that follows (v. 17) is ‘God did not send his son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.’ Christ understood that will and did not use His power irresponsibly. He had both knowledge and righteous motivation. In Ezekiel we are told the correct attitude to have as far as the forgiveness of others. ‘As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn…’ Ez. 33:11. In the New Testament, we are told that love God’s way is ‘not delighting in evil but rejoicing when truth wins out’ (1 Co. 13:6)

We are to pray for the Spirit-led conviction and the full heart repentance of those for whom we see living life apart from the Holy Spirit. We are to be free from our judgment of others as they are to seek freedom from their life of self. We are to praise God when others turn away from their selfishness and replace it with righteousness. ‘Oh, God, give us a longing – not for the sin of this world to be judged – but for the sinners of this world to be forgiven.’ Beth Moore, Jesus-The One and Only.

We should dress ourselves each morning with the helmet of Hebrews 10:24: ‘Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds’ and rejoice that Christ responds with the heart of Hebrews 10:17: ‘Then he adds, “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven…’”

No comments: