Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Just Imagine Jesus...

Many of the Psalms would traditionally be sung after the Passover meal. Centuries of families would have sung these Psalms acknowledging their belief that someday the Messiah would come and the prophesy would be fulfilled. Little did they know that this would be the year and the Lamb of sacrifice was among them. Jesus stood with His disciples and sang these Psalms the day before facing His cross knowing in His heart the words sung in tradition for so many years were describing His fate.

“How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me? I will lift up the cup of salvation…I will fulfill my vows to the Lord…The Lord is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me? The Lord is with me; he is my helper. I will look in triumph on my enemies.” Psalms 116: 12-14

“The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone; the Lord has done this…This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.” Psalm 118:22-24

How many times have we stood in church singing praises to our Lord only to experience pain from the truth in the words? I remember after Daddy died it seemed each song was written just for my circumstances. Many Sundays I could only lip the words as tears streamed down my face and my words were without sound due to the lump in my throat. The new awareness and truth in song was too much to contain within me. We have all had that experience I am sure.

Just imagine Jesus as He sang these Psalms after the meal. I cannot help but to wonder if the cheeks of Jesus were also wet from tears. Could His sweet voice be heard or did the lump in His throat and the fear in His heart prevent sound? Could he make eye contact with the disciples knowing that the Capstone of Christianity would soon hang lifeless so we could live? When Jesus sang the words, ‘This is the day the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it,’ was His heart fully rejoicing knowing He would soon face the cross? We have to consider the possibility of His human emotions taking over like every other person on earth. After all, He had traded in His heavenly palace for an earthly tent.

We all face pain and suffering, but the next time the tears flow in song and the lump in your throat prevents sound just know that perhaps Jesus had the same response as He faced His unbearable circumstances. At that private and sacred moment, you can be sure you are having fellowship with Christ through suffering.

Just imagine Jesus…

No comments: