Monday, July 12, 2010

In The Spirit

“Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and truth.” John 4:23-24

The word worship is defined as ‘treating somebody or something as divine (deity) and show respect by engaging in acts of prayer and devotion.’ The older I get the more I am aware of my lack of true worship in the past. Going to church was something of an obligatory nature even as an adult. I would attend because it was what good Christians and good mommies did. There have been times when I saw what topic the minister had prepared for the upcoming Sunday only to determine I wasn’t sure if I really would enjoy that topic. There have been times that I didn’t feel like turning around and greeting others at the point in the service. It was not until I truly deepened my fellowship with Christ four years ago that I truly began worshipping in ‘spirit and truth.’

Approaching church with "Me" mentality is like attending a party for someone else and expecting to receive gifts. When walking through those church doors we act like we are the guest of Honor instead of the Father. If we really get into the Spirit and the Truth we are transformed by the experience of Presence. We come with humility much like the beggar who welcomes the crumbs. The Divine Deity is offering Himself in full measure and constant access daily and worship is our chance to make it ALL about Him instead of ourselves.

I must admit that I still find myself distracted occasionally, complaining about the volume of the music, etc…but I now catch myself immediately feeling embarrassed before God and repentant that I have made it about me. Upon repentance He lifts me up and carries me in His spirit for the worship experience. When we make worship all about us we miss out on the opportunity to lavish our appreciation, love and adoration back on the Father as an offering.

Wherever we worship and whenever we bow let us not look onward to ourselves but upward to our God.

No comments: