Thursday, December 15, 2011

Chopsticks or Concertos

“But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who builds his house on the sand. The rain came down, the stream rose and the winds blew and beat against the house, and it fell with a great crash.” Matthew 7:26. “Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or see in me – put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.” Phil. 4:9. “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourself. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word and does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But anyone who looks intently into the perfect law, that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard but doing it – he will be blessed in what he does.” James 1:22-25.

I took piano for over 5 years growing up and learned many principles of reading music and the discipline of practicing. Finally, I talked my parents into allowing me to quit. Within one year I had forgotten most of what I had learned. No doubt I could still play elementary songs such as Chopsticks and Row, Row, Row Your Boat but not much more.

The parallel I draw this morning to my short-lived piano career is like reading and hearing the message of Bible Studies only to close the final page and place it on a shelf. We walk away and forget everything that was planted in our hearts by God. Shortly after we shelve our study, we can remember nothing more than our ‘spiritual version of chopsticks.’ We throw around a John 3:16 here and a Phil 4:7 there.

We are told over and over throughout the Bible that the blessings of God are not in the knowing but in the doing. Doing Bible Studies, listening to sermons, and memorizing verses without application is like planting seeds with no intention of watering them. Nothing grows from the act of planting but rather what active steps are taken afterwards, the pruning, the weeding and the watering. We will lose what we do not use.

I knew a lot spiritually growing up due to the blessing of my family. There was a time my home was built on the sand and when the storms rose and beat against my faith, it did not endure and came crashing down around me. But when I began hearing and applying God’s fresh word I was anchored in His foundation. When the rain came again, this time I was prepared with my faith and had built a fortified fort against the fierce storm. Thanks to God and His faithfulness I was blessed in every storm I endured.

‘The Word of God is meant to do more than penetrate. It’s meant to activate. It’s not until the hearing turns into doing that believing leads to blessing.’ James, Mercy Triumphs- Beth Moore.

Even Jesus knew this to be true as a young man… ‘My mother and My brothers are those who hear and do the word of God.’ Luke 8:21.

No comments: