Monday, December 12, 2011

Good & Perfect Gifts

“…but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, has been dragged away and enticed. Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full grown, gives birth to death. Don’t be deceived my dear brothers. Every good and perfect gift comes from above, coming down from the Father of heavenly lights...He chose to birth us through the word of truth, so that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.” James 1:15-18.

Quite a few years back Bruce named our home Camp Fool due to several invitations I had extended to certain individuals that were…questionable. Well here I go again…I just don’t want James, half brother of Christ, to leave. He has brought with him so much light on his book that I am even more tender towards His brother this morning.

As I scan my past horizons I see where I allowed ungodly desires to drag me off into the birthing room of sin. I was anesthetized by its promises and gave birth to excruciating pain to others as I secretly mounded huge debt in an effort to satisfy my own desires. I was deceived into thinking spending equaled comfort. I have a stark contrast for the second part of James’ message.

When I began studying God’s word in 2006, I allowed the Father to share His heavenly light of truth into my heart and mind. It was at that point that He began to birth in me the ‘good and perfect gifts’ from Him. James’ choice of the word for ‘perfect’ has an expanded definition of ‘that which has achieved or reached its goal, objective, purpose.’ Through God placing His word in my mind and heart, my good and perfect gifts included His timing for building my faith in preparation for the deaths of my sister and father. His spiritual touch birthed a writing ministry in my own life in an effort to point others to Him. Out of pain, He birthed a passion in my heart to work with the grieving and hurting people whom He loves.

These are a few of the firstfruits of my life once I opened my heart to His purposes and agenda for my life. He determines our good and perfect gifts that will serve as beacons to a dark world. Do not be deceived and dragged away by your own evil desires.

If anything is to birthed it is the good and perfect gifts of our good and perfect Father!

No comments: