Thursday, December 29, 2011

Unimpressed

“Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy or selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such ‘wisdom’ does not come down from heaven, but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil…But the wisdom that comes down from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit…Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness.” James 3:13-17.

James continues to exhort that we should live out our lives with a reign on our tongue and let our actions do the talking. I only have to rewind to this time last year to let this passage hit me right between the eyes. If we had a limited amount of words for one lifetime I would have met mine last year. Over the course of last year as I was caregiving for my father-in-law, I don’t think I practiced being wise and understanding much at all. I was constantly talking about what I had done yesterday, how I was doing it and what was going to be required of me tomorrow. My fruit consisted of holes and worms…

I love my commentary regarding James 3:13. It states, ‘The Greek word rendered ‘humility’ (NIV) or ‘gentleness’ (NCSB) … refers to “the quality of not being overly impressed by a sense of one’s self-importance.” James, Mercy Triumphs - p. 124. The two types of wisdom of which James speaks are heavenly wisdom and earthly wisdom. One wags the tongue and points while the other pursues the purity of God and acts. One speaks of self while the other acts for the sake of others. One confirms its foolishness while the other lives out its righteousness. I love how Proverbs doesn’t pull any punches… it states ‘A man of knowledge uses words with restraint…Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.’ Prov. 17:27-18.

My parents and grandparents were wonderful examples of those who sowed in peace and raised a harvest of righteousness from the overflow of heavenly wisdom. Their legacy left me with fertile spiritual soil, but I didn’t water it with the purified water of God. It was only through the humbling experience of God’s gentle discipline was I able to till the soil, allow Him to remove its impurities and give Him complete control of what He would accomplish in my life. We can live our lives with earthly wisdom harboring bitterness, grumbling and searching for self or can pursue purity and produce the fruit for which we were created to provide for others - the fruit of the Spirit.

No comments: