Friday, December 2, 2011

Raised For Purpose

“‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart’…I said, ‘I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.’ But the LORD said to me, ‘Do not say, I am only a child.’ You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,’ declares the LORD.” Jeremiah 1:5-8.

This message was given by God to Jeremiah but it has been the message of truth to every generation since the beginning of time. The word ‘knew’ translates as ‘chose’ which denotes God’s loving choice of us for birth and purpose. Just as we can claim this promise, Daniel took God at His word. When Daniel was carried off to Babylon he was only 15 years old according to Scripture. I have always studied Daniel in snapshots rather than the course of his life until this morning.

Daniel’s resolve to God at 15 was displayed when he refused to eat the foods considered defiled as instructed by the king. At 16, God placed Daniel in a position to accomplish something for which no other man in the kingdom was able to accomplish. He recited and interpreted the dream of King Nebuchadnezzar and was ‘made ruler over the entire providence of Babylon.’ (Daniel 2:48) As far as I can determine Daniel remained in that favored position for the following 41 years until King Nebuchadnezzar’s death in 562 BC. With the ushering in of a new administration most likely Daniel was removed or forgotten by the administrations that followed for the next 23 years. This is based on the fact that the reigning king in 539 BC (the son or grandson of King Nebuchadnezzar most likely) had never even heard of Daniel. “The queen hearing voices of the king came…she said… ‘there is a man in your kingdom who has the spirit’…” Daniel 5:10-11. Once again, Daniel used his spiritual gift of revelation and interpretation. “Belshazzar commanded Daniel…and was proclaimed as third highest ruler in the kingdom.” Daniel 5:29. The next morning the reign of Belshazzar fell to the reign of Darius, king of Persia, who was equally impressed with Daniel. “Now Daniel so distinguished himself among the satraps by his exceptional qualities that the king planned to set him over the whole kingdom.” Daniel 6:3. Daniel was called back into service at the age of 80. For the following three years Daniel was given prophetic visions by the LORD in relation to end times. God chose Daniel to be born with a specific purpose and boy did Daniel perform! He delivered that which he was called upon to deliver through his spiritual gifts.

Each of us were chosen to come into this world with a specific purpose in which to glorify God. “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.” Romans 9:17. Every child of God has been given a spiritual gift from birth, and if obedient we will be used in a powerful way that spans our entire life, not just a season. I am both reminded and blessed this morning in considering my grandmother, who over the course of her life was an instrument in the hands of the Creator who gave her life. As she laid in her nursing home bed at 100, she still ministered to multi-generational people who moved in and out of her room in different capacities. She was chosen, loved, called upon and bestowed a spiritual gift using it with her entire body, soul and spirit until the day she was called home. We are called to the same life…will we accept?

No comments: