Tuesday, April 17, 2012

My Dinner Club

And now I will show you the most excellent way…Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.” 1 Co. 13:1-8.

We always think of this passage as the love chapter as it relates to our significant others, but this morning I am thinking about my precious dinner club. For sixteen years, five couples have met once a month to share stories, conversation, good food and our hearts. We have all been through the battles and fought from the trenches, and I feel are better people because of each other. As we met this past weekend, I sat looking at these wonderful people in immense gratitude and deep love. Both men and women alike have shown me their most excellent way as they have loved me tenderly. They have bolstered me up when I couldn’t see the way and were patient with my shortcomings when I had nothing to give.

They do not keep a friendship banking account, checking the statement to sum up deposits and withdrawals. They do not think in terms of what they can receive from me but rather what they can give. They always choose to see my actions with the best intent, always making space for grace. They are not self-seeking and are protective over me in everything I do. They delight in me for who I am becoming and have never judged me for who I have been. They have given me permission to mess up, and to be less than who I should be. They have made it safe and secure to be their friend. Their words of hope and promise lifted me up in times where hope seemed like a wish on my Christmas list instead of grace to come. Seldom do they speak of themselves and rarely do they boast. The love that flows in this group is the most excellent way…what is its success?

We all are pursuing an intimate fellowship with the same Father. We see ourselves as siblings at His table and have His love as our example. He is ‘the way, and the truth and the life.’ The love in these friendships never fails me nor forsakes me. I read that a friend is one who looks to bring joy and comfort to others with no strings attached, no hidden agendas, and no secret wish lists. This post is for my Dinner Club – one of my greatest graces that God has given me. I am so blessed.

No comments: