Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Yes Lord, but...

“‘Yes, Lord, I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world,’ she replied… ‘But, Lord…’” John 11:27, 39.

 I find on the pages of the Bible a woman who did not waver when asked what she believed.  I am inspired by her unrelenting faith in Jesus as the Messiah sent to earth to give us everlasting life.  As inspired as I am by her proclamations of faith, I am equally as confused by the ‘But…’ that followed.  That is why getting into the word of God daily is essential in our lives.  It opens the communication in areas He wishes to speak.  It is the intersection where two spirits sit, renew and transform.

Martha did not question that Christ had the power to resurrect, but her doubt was in the process of the resurrection.  Most likely, she had concluded the way her miracle should look and it did not involve her touching rotting graveclothes.   Most likely, she pictured Jesus coming to the tomb, and bringing forth a beautifully healed and transformed brother…not the image of a dead man walking with strips of decaying linens and a decomposing body.  She believed in the end result…just doubted the process.

Although I claim eternal life in Him without question, sometimes my worries and anxieties seem to echo ‘Yes, Lord, I believe…But, Lord…’  Why is it that we completely trust God with our eternity  but doubt Him with our lives here on earth?  Why do we trust in the destination and fret in the journey?  We know the destination of our desires but seem spiritually illiterate in reading the roadmap to getting there.  With the absence of God’s direction on our journey we will continuously question His ways, His agenda and His timing… ‘I believe Lord, but…’

Christ did not come to earth just to pay our price for eternity, but also to bring us a deposit of heaven on earth in Him.  I am the gate…I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.’ John 10:10.

 

No comments: