Thursday, April 5, 2012

Take My Coat ... I Insist!

“So I tell you … and insist on it in the Lord … you must no longer live in the futility of … thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God … put off your old self … be made new in the attitude of your minds and put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.” Eph. 4:17-24.

Since I began my Bible Study, Me, Myself & Lies, I have become extremely cognizant of how saturated the Bible is with God’s view on our thoughts. I used to examine my life from my outer actions instead of examining my life from my inner thoughts. God knew that all of our words and actions would stem from our thoughts so He spoke inexhaustibly about the importance of truthful talk to our soul, apart from our emotions.

Our emotions consistently speak the same lies to our spirit, and color pictures which are in conflict with God’s truth. Our flesh is that bland overcoat we slip on to cover up God’s truth due to our unbelief or insecurities. Through allowing God to renew our thoughts by replacing them with His truths is like presenting our shoulders to Him to ‘take our coats.’ He removes our outerwear and reveals the beautiful attire that we are wearing underneath. When our futile thoughts are removed our spiritual attitudes are displayed and what a beautiful wardrobe it is. Our dress will be His righteousness, and our accessories will be His character. We will wear scarfs of compassion that drape over our shoulders. We will stand tall in shoes that keep us moving in His service. We will wear hats of renewed minds that keep us confident in whom He says we are. We will display a beautiful broach of love that catches the Light just right. We will be a beautiful creation, new in attitude and dressed in truth.

Please take my coat…I insist on it!

No comments: