Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pearl Bracelets

Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not easily broken.” Eccl. 4:12.

Many years ago, my husband worked for a company that required him to travel to China. On one occasion, he brought me back a triple strand pearl bracelet. It was a beautiful bracelet and I loved wearing it. One day I caught two of the strands on something that broke their strings, but luckily the third strand held most of the bracelet together. I only lost a few pearls and was able to get the jeweler to reattach the other two strands.

As Christians we have a cord of three strands... the Holy Trinity. In past times, I have lived my life on one strand, knowing intellectually the requirements of God. In 2006, God called me to become more acquainted with the second strand … Christ. It was through studying the life of Christ that I became aware of the beauty of the second strand. As illnesses overtook our family I became dependent upon that third strand … the enabling of the Holy Spirit.

It is important to care for and protect our relationship with the triple strand of our Christian walk. We will catch ourselves on the things of this world, threatening to break the faith that runs through our journey. Living on one strand, our faith may be overpowered by our thoughts, fears and self-focus. It is when we live our lives on all three strands that we adorn a beautiful life of pearls. Our faith is protected and while we may ‘lose a few pearls’ along the way we will always retain the bracelet.

No comments: