Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Tailor Made

“Praise the LORD, O my soul. O LORD my God, you are very great; you are clothed with splendor and majesty. He wraps himself in light as with a garment;” Psalm 104:1-2a.

When I was a little girl nothing made me happier than to go into my mother’s closet and try on her shoes. I would look at her clothes, recognizing certain garments that I remembered her looking beautiful in. My eyes would always settle on the frosted zippered bag at the back of the closet…her wedding dress. Next to her closet on the wall hung a beautiful frame which displayed my mother on her wedding day. Her dress wrapped around her petite body with such beauty and loveliness, fitting her perfectly and highlighting all of her physical attributes.

When I was in my 40's, my Caroline walked out of the closet wearing my wedding dress which took me back many years. Seeing her beautiful little frame under a mound of lace made me imagine how beautiful she will be when she grows into that dress. I can only imagine how our Father watches us try Him on as we are growing up spiritually. He can picture how our lives will look when we have grown into that wonderful mature Christian. He sees the framed picture of who we were created to be at our spiritual best.

When I think of my spiritual thought closet I think of all the godly attitudes for which I haven’t grown into yet. I can easily picture them on Christ for I have seen the splendor of everything He touches and how He wears His character. I try so hard to walk around wearing His shoes but on many days they are clunky and too big. I try to wrap myself in His garment of love, kindness, peace and gentleness but the sleeves hang too long some days. I look upon His face in the framed picture in my mind seeing Him wrapped in the beautiful garment of splendor and majesty, highlighting His divine spiritual character.

Thankfully, His closet is open to me anytime I wish to open the door. His wardrobe is at my disposal, and with His help He tailors the garments to perfectly fit me. His clothes will not look the same on you as they do on me, but all of us will be beautiful. As we grow in Him, our feet grow bigger and our arms grow longer, and the things of God fit much better.

No comments: