Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Launching Out

When He had stopped speaking, He said to Simon, ‘Launch out into the deep and let down your nets for a catch.’ But Simon answered… ‘Master, we have toiled all night and caught nothing; nevertheless at Your word I will let down the net.’” Luke 5:4-5.

This story is drenched in application regarding our spiritual disciplines. Simon was a fisherman who had been out in the deep waters all night fishing to no avail. He was casting in the ideal climate…the ideal location…the ideal time of night and yet his boat returned empty and the task was still waiting. How disappointing that must have been for him as he glanced over at his boat while cleaning his nets. He didn’t mind cleaning up after a successful endeavor I’m sure, but to realize that his work was futile had to be frustrating. Then Jesus instructed Simon to take those clean nets, get back in the boat, row out to the deep waters in the heat of the day and throw them overboard. We know what Simon’s verbal response was, but I would love to know what his thoughts were. ‘Are you kidding me? I just got everything taken care of and I am exhausted!’ ‘Jesus, you are a carpenter and not a fisherman…you don’t understand.’ ‘You are asking me to do something when I am at my deepest disappointment.’ ‘Nevertheless…at Your word…’ Luke 5:5.

I can so relate to this story when thinking about times that Jesus asked me to do things that I didn’t want to do. There were times of great exhaustion and heartbreaking disappointments when I felt like doing nothing but ‘cleaning my nets’ and walking away. But Jesus continues to beckon us during those times to launch out in the deep waters where He is calling and to let down our nets for a catch. Many times, the catch is blessing others, but usually the catch blesses me. There were plenty of times when I didn’t launch out missing out on the comfort that He intended for me to receive. Simon has shown us a better way… a way that pleases and honors God. He has shown us that when we cast our hearts in obedience instead of allowing our emotions to guide us our blessings will be great in number beyond our expectations. ‘And when they had done this, they caught a great number…, and their net was breaking.’ Luke 5:6. He taught us that while Jesus can handle our negative responses we are still to follow Him even in our disagreement. He taught us to keep on talking to Jesus even when the fish aren't biting. He taught us to always believe in a future catch of blessings, resolutions, healing and accomplished endeavors.

I’m sure that some of you are like Simon who just wants the day…the task…the circumstances to be over. Like Simon, you are handling your circumstances disappointed and feeling empty. I pray that even in your situation you continue to talk to Jesus like Simon. Even if you tell Him the reasons that what He is asking of you is too much that you will lay your nets at His feet. I pray that you will feel the courage, hope and comfort from God to continue on…to launch out…to keep believing in the yield. I pray that you will let the nets down and wait on the Lord.

No comments: