Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Ashes to Beauty

In the beginning God…” Ge 1:1

I am so grateful that God initiates new beginnings for every one of us no matter how old we are. I’ll bet that God enjoys fresh beginnings just like we do. Beginnings are full of dreams…full of vision…full of hope. Spiritual beginnings are where God’s power intersects our willingness to partner with Him. Such was the case in February of 2006 when God pursued me in my lackluster faith. I began studying His Word and spending time in intentional prayer. He began in me an understanding of how to relate Scripture to my own life. He began a writing initiative where I had never really had any interest. For the next two years I would write and write and write, as I couldn’t get enough of it. Most of these writings were for my own growth and desire to understand Scripture. But just like God always does, His beginnings start much sooner than our beginnings. He goes before us with the knowledge of future circumstances and prepares us for the path that leads us there. But ELM (Emerging Life Ministries) as you all know it was born out of a season of intense pain and suffering. My first ELM was written on May 5, 2008 and God has sustained it ever sense. Our family had created a Caring Bridge website to share communications about my sister Beth and her journey through cancer. Each morning I would update the website with Beth’s latest status and a short verse of Scripture with some thoughts. ELM’s beginning was birthed from Beth’s journey to Heaven. ELM emerged from ashes into beauty because God was in its origin and His power has sustained it all these years later.

Many of you are going through very tough times or have been through tough times. Nothing experienced is without spiritual gain, and our times of deep sorrow…our ashes…will be turned into beauty when the hand of God is applied. For the couple who has been through heartbreaking times… there is a reconciliation ministry. For the spouse who had to say goodbye too soon…there is a grief ministry. For the person who was betrayed by their family member…there is a forgiveness ministry. For the patient who has triumphed over cancer…there is a survivor ministry. I think there is nothing sadder than to see missed opportunities…vacant testimonies…ministries that never came to be. Whatever you have experienced God will turn your mourning into joy and your ashes into beauty. It is this beauty that displays the love and faithfulness of God.  And what we are given from Him, we are encouraged by Him to share it with others.  As Oscar Hammerstein once said, 'Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay - Love isn't love 'til you give it away!

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.” Isaiah 61:1-3

No comments: