Thursday, October 10, 2019

Dare to Believe

Where can I go from Your Spirit?  Or where can I flee from Your presence?  If I ascend into heaven, you are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.” Psalm 139:7-8

This passage is one of my favorite verses throughout the Bible and a promise to which I always cling.  But several years ago, I experienced the last line of this passage.  I had to make one of the toughest decisions of my life, and I knew the answer before I ever asked God the question.  I knew that I had to inquire of the Lord, but I wasn’t ready to hear what He was going to command of me.  At the time I was involved with a ministry that supported people in San Pedro.  The leadership of this ministry needed me to meet them in Belize for a fundraiser we had organized.  Bruce was working out of town at the time and was unable to travel with me.  I made the trip by myself and had a cute little bungalow to myself… a place where I ‘made my bed in hell.’ Although I brought my Bible and Bible study, I purposely watched it go unopened on the bedside table for 7 days.  In the early morning I didn’t listen to my worship music.  I never opened my heart for prayer during that week.  My goal was to ‘go from His Spirit…flee from His presence.’  At the end of the week, I was exhausted and empty, and still had to make the decision.  It took another couple of weeks for me to finally spread out the dilemma before God inviting Him to speak to me.  God did ask of me what my heart feared the most and I walked it out.  Charles Stanley states one of the principles by which He lives.  He encourages people to ‘Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him.’  With the endurance and power of God in that tough season He took care of everything.  He went before me and made every detail acceptable.  He allowed me to feel the approval His approval and protected me on all sides.  He gave me such spiritual and emotional gain by releasing my life-long pursuit of people’s approval.  I am so thankful that there is nowhere we can flee where the feet of God aren't already standing. 

I know many of you are going through very difficult times right now.  You are being asked to walk out something you never dreamed you would have to. Maybe you feel like this season is your ‘bed in hell.’ Perhaps you need reminded that God is never further away than His name on your lips.  The Message has a beautiful translation that I pray will bless you this morning. 

I am all around you, hovering over you even as you seek My Face.  I am nearer than you dare believe, closer than the air you breathe.  If My children could only recognize My Presence, they would never feel lonely again.  I know every thought before you think it, every word before you speak it.  My Presence impinges on your innermost being.’  Psalm 139:7-8.

No comments: