Thursday, October 17, 2019

With All of Our Might

And David danced before the LORD with all his might” 2 Samuel 4:16.

When my grandson Carson was 3 years old, we were at a movie and as the ending credits began to roll, he looked at my daughter and said, ‘Is it time Mommy?’ She laughed and told him it was time. He went running down to the front of the theater and began dancing with everything in his little body. As tears streamed down my face from laughing, I will forever have his tiny frame dancing etched in my mind. He had very little inhibition as a child during those moments. He wouldn’t be caught dead in the front of a theater dancing as a teenager. But the childlike freedom he felt at that age was what David felt in the temple.

Very few times are we able to witness an Old Testament verse in present times. But last night 2 Samuel 4:16 was on full display with dancing and worship on stage at the Bethel Music concert. I had never seen them perform before, but my daughter had raved about the experience. When they began, I was completely blown away. Each of them performed as if they were performing privately for a king, each bringing their own offering. It was almost as if I was peeking into the Holy of Holies between God and each performer. I love to worship but their level of worship left me longing for more passion when I come into God’s presence. It left me longing for those ‘abandon everything worship experiences’ that I saw in their faces and bodies. There was an entire stage of David’s last night…children after God’s own heart.

I awoke this morning considering how do I dance before the Lord? Is it with all my might or am I just satisfied to sing the songs placed before me by the passion of others? Is raising an arm the same as raising a heart of humility before the Lord? Will I exhaustively dance even when the music stops, and the journey is hard? I will never be on stage dancing and singing and everyone should be thankful for that. But God has drenched us in His love and surrounded us with His presence. He has provided a path straight to His heart that we will experience eternally. There will never be one second as believers when we are separated from His heart. We have the same Spirit of God within us that David had way back then…that Bethel Music had last night. I pray that the Spirit within us will power the praise lifted from us and that we cannot help but to dance with all our might.

No comments: