Friday, November 15, 2019

Going About our Day

"As you are going make disciples…in the name of the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.” Matthew 28:19

Growing up with grandparents being Wesleyan ordained ministers the phrase ‘Great Commission’ was understood by the time I was in middle school. They would share that not only was it a privilege, but it is the one command that every believer is given, and every single person is equipped to accomplish. The Great Commission was the cornerstone that resided in the heart of Jesus. He understood that His mission was to seek out those who didn’t know God and explain the love and saving grace of God. Jesus understood what most of us forget…the Great Commission doesn’t live on the other side of the world. It is intended to be shared as we go about our business each day as believers. With the Holy Spirit living inside us, we are given the opportunities to share our stories that point to God. With the Holy Spirit prompting us we have the awareness to see those around us who are lost and in need. With the Holy Spirit comforting us we have the compassion to comfort others and invite them into God’s family of fellowship with believers.

Today I have a list of errands and this is a good reminder for me to keep my spiritual radar out as I go about my day. As I shop for groceries this morning, I pray for eyes to see a person who needs to know Jesus. As I spend time with my daughter today, I will look beyond my own interests and have a listening ear connecting God to the situation. While preparing dinner tonight I can go ahead and say a few prayers for God to reveal His heart to certain people I know who don’t intimately know Him.

Making disciples is not just about sharing the gift of salvation with an unbeliever, although that it one of the highest callings for us all. Making disciples is more about having eyes to see and ears to hear opportunities to share the love of God, expanding another person’s knowledge of the character of God. Some days my awareness of this command disappears as soon as I have to sit in traffic. Some days my desire to check a bunch of boxes of completed tasks takes greater priority over my desire to make disciples. It is all about being spiritually intentional, and focusing on the importance of being the hands and feet of Jesus in a world desperately needing the good news. So, as you go about your day and as I go about my day may we recognize the movement of God and the call to participate in the Great Commission.

No comments: