Tuesday, November 5, 2019

When Roosters Crow


Immediately a rooster crowed.  And Peter remembered the word of Jesus…who said, ‘Before the rooster crows, you will deny Me three times.’ So he went out and wept bitterly.” Matthew 26:74-75

This morning as I was considering this heart-breaking scene, I decided to put myself in Peter’s sandals.  The day had to have been a gut-wrenching display of torture as Peter watched his friend and mentor experience the brutal treatment.  As a physically broken Jesus dragged His own cross through the streets I wonder if Peter was running along side through the crowd.  As Peter witnessed Jesus being flogged and nailed to the cross, was he thinking that he might be next?  Traumatized and frightened, he feared that through his association with Jesus he might also be chosen to endure what he had just witnessed.  Did he see the leers and hear the cheers arise as Jesus fell down?  I can’t even imagine the hysteria that surrounded the crucifixion, but I can certainly understand Peter being scared half to death.  And so, with the trauma of the day and terror in his heart the multiple denials came…and immediately the rooster crowed…and tears were shed.

We probably all know what it is like for our emotions to prompt regretful actions.  Sometimes the person most surprised by our sins or weaknesses is our self.  The rooster crowed the morning that I had to disclose my hidden secrets about spending.  The rooster crowed the morning I signed my divorce papers 35 years ago.  The rooster crowed when after years of bitterness for a family member God revealed my heart. 

What was it for you when the rooster crowed?  What set of circumstances were set up that caught you at your weakest moment, during your most fearful time?  The image of the crow of the rooster in our story has always brought me sadness.  But this morning I am blessed by the reality of not when the rooster crowed, but the moment after when awareness filled Peter’s heart.  That crow marked a change of heart in a man for whom Jesus had great plans despite his denial.  That crow marked a line drawn in the spiritual sand where Peter would become the rock on which Jesus would build the church.    Whatever we have done, there is always life after the rooster crows.  Our greatest failures can be used to carry out God’s greatest successes.  It is when we discover our weaknesses and flaws that God will use our stories to accomplish great things in His name.


No comments: