Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Waiting on Hummingbirds

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Don’t be afraid;” Luke 12:6

When I was pregnant with each of my children, I loved the time leading up to their births. I would make my plans for their nurseries including the colors in the room to which they would one day awake. I would search the stores for the perfect items to place intentionally around the room. For the last child I even attempted to sew to save money. I chose pink and mint fabric and made her valances, covered her bumper pads and pillows to place in her crib. Nothing in the nurseries were placed randomly or by accident. They were all details I chose before they were even born for their future needs and joy. At least once a day I would walk into the nurseries while waiting on my children to be born. I would scan the room to ensure every detail had been seen to for their comfort. Fast forward 30 years and I found myself the other day happy to unwrap my hummingbird feeders although their arrival is not yet due. Just like rocking in the nursery rocking chair before my babies were born, I love seeing the bright and colorful feeders beckoning the sweet birds to come and dine.

Can you even fathom that our Father knew the exact second our children and grandchildren gasped for their first breath of life? Isn’t it remarkable that the Lord knows the exact instant when our little hummingbirds will land on the perch? Not one detail isn’t directed by the master Conductor in the symphony of each sunrise and each sunset. The trees are given their sap by God, and the waves take their direction at His voice. The moon sees God’s nod signaling its entrance as the sun is commanded to sink into the horizon. So why do we worry? Why are we afraid of our circumstances when every detail is covered by God’s wisdom and great sovereignty? Just as His timing is perfect for the sun…the waves…every birth…the hummingbirds…His timing is perfect for each detail of our lives. Waiting on God may seem empty and futile, but to Him it is the time of nesting when He is preparing and arranging the beautiful details for our lives up ahead.

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Matthew 6:25-27

No comments: