Monday, April 13, 2020

But God!

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. So then, don’t be afraid. I will provide for you and your children.” Ge 50:20-21

This is the story of Joseph which competes with every action-packed thriller ever made. Joseph was the baby of ten older brothers who were insanely jealous of how much their dad loved him. Joseph didn’t do much to endear himself, rather shared with the brothers his dream of dominion over them. They came up with a secret plan to kill him involving throwing him in a deep pit in the desert to die. Instead, they sold him to a group of passing Ishmaelites who were on their way to Egypt. The brothers’ jealousy resulted in the events that placed Joseph into slavery but ended with favor bestowed upon him in Egypt. He was granted a high position by the Pharaoh that would later prove to be the salvation of his own brothers and father. Life for Joseph was a life of privilege and poverty…favored and hated…from the palace to the prison. But in the end, God had allowed these circumstances to occur to fulfill His purpose for Joseph’s life. This beautiful passage was spoken from Joseph to his brothers once he was in power. His proclamation of divine providence is the same proclamation that we can say to our circumstances, ‘But God…’

I’m confident that we all have past circumstances when only by the grace of God did we survive. I had a daughter who walked in darkness for eight years, but God brought her into a life of purpose, testimony and clean healthy living. I secretly mounted debt and fractured our marriage, but God brought us through it 19 years ago and we will celebrate 35 years of marriage this June. We went a few years without work, but God provided every single day in whatever ways we lacked. Cancer and Alzheimer’s struck and robbed us of three of our beloved family members, but God has healed our heart. So, as I sit here in isolation with the uncertainty of this set of circumstances I will try to remember to proclaim ‘but God’ in every moment. I don’t know how long we must stay isolated from our love ones, but God knows the exact moment. I don’t know if our retirement money will still be enough to span our lives, but God knows the day each of us will no longer need money. I don’t know if we will be able to have our celebration of our daughter’s wedding in 8 weeks, but God will bless their marriage whether it is just the family or the entire guest list. When I fear I will say ‘but God.’ When I worry I will say ‘but God.’ When I’m frustrated I will say ‘but God.’

Whatever you are facing this morning, this afternoon or tomorrow please remember that every thought of anxiety has a ‘but God’ solution. He will bring peace into our troubled hearts and weary souls if we march out the battle with these two words…BUT GOD!

No comments: