Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Guarded by Angels

He [God] has put his angels in charge of you to watch over you wherever you go.” Psalm 91:11 NCV
It was November 4th, 2018 and I was out running errands. On this day it was sunny and warm, and I didn’t mind my long list of things to do. Driving around listening to music and jumping in and out of the car at different locations was a perfect day. I was less than a mile from home when I saw a huge truck coming towards me. As I got closer a sports car shot out from behind the truck barreling straight for me in my lane with no shoulder on which to pull over. I’ve never written about this incident before I don’t think because I realize how crazy it sounds. But this morning as I read this verse this day came to mind. With nowhere to go I slammed on my brakes and remember whispering goodbye to my life here on earth and my loved ones. It was at that moment that the sports car made a move to squeeze between the front of my car and the truck he was passing. As I watched him right in front of me swerving back over in the other lane cutting off the truck, I saw the front of his car go through the front of mine. I didn’t imagine it…I didn’t dream it…it was my Psalm 91:11 moment where God put an angel in charge of me. It was neither my day to pass nor the way I would go to Heaven. If God still has assignments for us to do, He will keep us alive to accomplish them. He will send angels to move heaven and earth so His plans are not thwarted.
One of my absolute favorite verses is found is Psalm 139:16, ‘All the days planned for me were written in your book before I was one day old.’ (NCV). We are living in a time globally when we are reminded multiple times daily that we could die from this virus circulating across the globe. With areas beginning to loosen certain restrictions it will be easy to be insecure and fearful that we might become sick. Reasonable caution is healthy but walking in fear is counterproductive to our faith. Before we took one breath, God wrote down how many breaths we were assigned. Before we knew to be scared, God gave us parents to watch over and protect us. No virus will kill us unless God wrote about it decades ago, and no unemployment will break us because God promised He would always provide for us. ‘No life is too short or too long. You will live your prescribed number of days. You might change the quality of your days but not the quantity...God has never promised a life with no storms. But he has promised to be there when we face them.Anxious for Nothing, Max Lucado, p. 112. And every day in between our first breath and our last will be walked out with angels watching over us.

No comments: