Thursday, April 16, 2020

Out on a Limb

Jesus…was passing through. A man was there by the name of Zacchaeus…He wanted to see who Jesus was, but because he was short he could not see over the crowd. So he ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way. When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, ‘Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today.’ So he came down at once and welcomed him gladly.” Luke 19:1-6
One of my fondest memories from childhood was going to Sunday School. I can still see Miss Bullard with her high bun and tissue tucked under the stretchy watchband on her arm. With a felt board at the front of the classroom stories were told and stories were sung. If I close my eyes, I can still see Zacchaeus sitting on a limb of a tall tree while Jesus in a crowd of people were approaching from afar. As Jesus and the crew reached the tree, He stopped. He knew exactly what Zacchaeus was trying to do…he wanted to see Jesus. And what did Jesus do? He not only saw and acknowledged Zacchaeus, but Jesus told him to get out of the tree and meet Him at Zacchaeus’s home. Jesus desired to fellowship with him.
It’s been a while since I have been in a season that required me to look for Jesus as much as I am now. Multiple times during the day I feel like that little man who climbed up in the tree to get a glimpse of Him. Does Jesus see me when I feel burdened? Will He stop and acknowledge that I desperately need Him in my circumstances? Will He show His compassion and comfort with my present disappointments and frustrations although others around the world are suffering more than me? Will He invite me to meet with Him throughout the day whenever I need Him?
Times are very confusing and challenging right now without the knowledge of when things will get better and life will resume. It is true that this season is crowded with statistics, models, and newscasts… not to mention our own crowded thoughts. But when we separate ourselves from the fray and find a higher place, we have a much better chance of seeing Jesus. We can call on Him and He will answer because He is never far from us. We can always find Him when we cast our eyes towards His direction. He is never too busy to stop what He is doing, offer His presence to us, and satisfy our longing for Him. Isn’t it amazing how blessed we can be by a little story on a felt board 50 years ago?

No comments: