Thursday, January 17, 2019

A True Beauty

Do not let your adornment be merely outward…rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God.” 1 Peter 3:3-4.

Facebook offers many interactive tests and entertaining challenges, some which I pass over and some which I happily receive. Presently, there is one going around where we are asked to post a picture from 10 years ago beside a current picture. There is absolutely nothing that appeals to me about this, but I LOVE seeing everyone else post. I don’t think I’ve seen one person post this activity with drastic changes. All my friends look just as beautiful as they did 10, 20 and 30 years ago. This is probably because I know them and love them, and completely see their beautiful hearts.

I believe this is what God meant with today’s passage as we consider the biblical definition of beauty. If I could post my spiritual life 10 years ago next to my present spiritual life, it would be a picture of an infant beside a picture of a toddler. I have a great deal of growth and maturity to attain, but I’m thankful that God never tires of growing us into the beauty of Christ. As I look at my children’s pictures of yesteryear, they are so precious to me. As I look as present pictures of them my love has just gotten stronger for them. They have grown into the beauty of responsible adults, and Christian people caring about others. God as our Father, looks upon us with the same love and adoration.

In the Bible God continuously talks about the condition of our hearts being our true beauty that is incorruptible. ‘Inner beauty is the virtue that matters most to God and that sustains a relationship…The Bible most often praises a woman’s heart. True beauty comes from within and is reflected in the countenance.’ Life Lessons from Women in the Bible, Rhonda Harrington Kelley, p. 39. As our bodies get older hopefully our hearts get younger. And while our bodies show signs of aging, our hearts show signs of growing. When we look into the faces of others we usually will see into their hearts, and their beauty will reflect whatever resides there.

For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart.” 1 Samuel 16:7.

No comments: