Monday, May 25, 2009

Care to Dance?

"Arise my darling, my beautiful one, and come with me." Song of Solomon 2:10.

There are many facets of God's love but the romantic face of God always makes me feel shy, embarrassed and just a little uncomfortable. This is God we are talking about, the Creator of the universe, the One who stores thunder and lightning in a storehouse and tells each one where to strike. He is the One who makes decisions about life being made and life being taken. So excuse me if I feel a little shaken by this romantic image of the two of us.

It is easy to call Him Father for I have such a wonderful relationship with my own. It is easy to call Him Savior because He has saved me from so much in my life. It is easy to call Him Redeemer for He has redeemed my life so I will be eternally with Him...but to call Him Darling seems almost disrespectful as if we are equals - one for which I am undeserving. In thinking about this, I had to reconcile this reference of relationship in my heart so that I could fulfil this aspect of our fellowship.

Jeff Walling, in his book Daring to Dance with God, helped me redefine this aspect of fellowship. He says that "each of us pines to relax into the arms of one stronger than we are, one who can then lead us in the 'dance' choreographed just for us". Is this not the desire of finding a romance in our world today? Is our search for a romantic relationship not partly a desire to find security, comfort and enjoyment in one we can count on, receive protection and lead in our dance of life? This is the reference for which I can call God, "Darling". I can take those nail scarred hands as He offers them to me, allow Him to pull me close to Him and listen for the music. As I hear the music He sends I will wait until He moves so that my movement will be in response to where He leads. When He moves to the right I will turn and when He stops to change the song I will not move ahead.

He will be my Lead and I will follow Him. We are all in a choreographed dance with God as Jeff Walling states and it is up to us to listen for the music and know when to move out in step as God leads. Thank you dear Love for leading me in this dance called life.

No comments: