Monday, May 4, 2009

Take No Offense

"Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:12.

During the earthly walk of Jesus, he served every minute of everyday. The needs of others as directed by His Father guided His walk. He walked in earthly shoes with earthly emotions such as fatigue, irritation, frustration, etc... He is no stranger to the feelings we endure daily. There was even a healing event in the Bible of the ten lepers who yelled at a distance for Jesus to heal them which He did. Upon their healing one of the lepers came running up to Jesus to thank him while the other nine went off dancing. Jesus stated "Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? Was no one found to return and give praise to God?" He had "righteous indignation" for He was upset because His Father wasn't getting the glory deserved. He took no offense personally because He was out to the do the will of His Father - not His own.

Over the past couple years I have been called upon to serve and serve and serve within the family. One day my baby sister informed me that maybe that was my ministry. I felt exasperated that my gift would be something that was so thankless and exhausting. In hindsight I see that my motivation in serving was not based upon feeling the privilege of God partnering with me in each of the lives of my family but in trying to meet an "earth need" of approval and satifaction within myself apart from bringing God glory. We do not choose our gifts but He chooses them for us. So, when I am "offended" by others to whom I am called to serve if they are thankless, I am reminded of Jesus who was only offended for His Father.

I feel God has transformed my heart to see service on earth as a privilege from Him and my blessings and rewards are not based upon their actions but based upon the promises of God. Do I get tired and weary? Absolutely! Do I want run and hide? You bet. My biggest lesson in this is to love and serve without expecting anything in return such as did Jesus.

No comments: