Sunday, May 24, 2009

Walk This Way

"But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are complete in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did." 1 John 2:6.

The other day my grandson, Carson had spent the night with me and I was to meet his mom at church the next day. It was time to leave for church and I was "rounding" Carson up. I told him that we needed to get in the car so we could go to church. He looked at me with sad eyes and said, "Emmy, I want to be a good listener but I don't want to get in the car." Obeying His word...how many times, with sad eyes, do we look at God and state the same? By obeying His word we access the completion of God's love in us. Think of how we feel when our children obey our rules and choose our way instead of their's. We place those rules upon their lives in an effort to teach, to protect and to show them our love. Obedience serves as a conduit for the completion of love that flows between parent and child.

The same is with our Father. The more we emulate Him and obey what He is asking of us the more we will look like Christ did while on earth. People will not question who rules within us but will know by our actions. I tell my children as well as reminding myself, "Actions and words follow where the heart leads". I try to remind myself of this if I am feeling irritated, frustrated or facing a situation that could turn negative quickly.

I love what Virelle Kidder wrote in Meet Me At The Well. She wrote, "Shake a glass of milk and milk will spill out. If vinegar is in there, guess what will come out? If Jesus is Lord on the inside, whether we're shaken, stirred or broken in bits, His person will come out; His love will express itself; His expression will be on our faces. It can't be otherwise."

No comments: