Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Waiting on Sunday....

"About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them." Acts 16:25.

Sometimes our week gets so hectic as we run from one commitment to another. We remember the peace, serenity and powerful experience we just encountered a few days before at church. Where had that worship experience gone and why can't it be carried around in our hearts during the week? Nothing has changed, we love Christ and He loves us. In pondering this, I was drawn to an analogy of a romantic interlude between two people. In a desire to show love, respect and honor for someone we carry in our hearts we set aside time and prepare for time together. We shop for their favorite foods, set a beautiful candlelit table, and select the appropriate music for the purpose of creating an atmosphere deserving of that person and relationship.

If we would prepare one-tenth when approaching Christ, the outcome would be like Sunday worship everytime. I am not naive enough to think we have time to do this figuratively speaking but I am speaking more of preparing this atmosphere in our minds and hearts. I am speaking more of closing our eyes and picturing the face of Christ. I am speaking of visualizing lighting a candle and reaching across the table to connect with the scarred hands of the One who is in love with us. I am speaking of choosing a song that speaks of your love for Him and creating worship wherever you are like Paul and Silas did. They were in prison facing their death when they decided to "hold worship".

Even if you add one thing to your normal routine it puts your heart in a place where you are more conscious of entering into a special place. For me, I have started going to youtube.com once I complete my Bible Study but before I enter into prayer. I put in a video song request so I can watch the video along with hearing the sweet music. I am amazed each time how the spirit of humility seeps in my heart, spirit and mind and provides for me a "Sunday worship experience" everytime.

Visually, light a candle in your mind, spread a blanket in front of a fire, or pull up a stool to sit at His feet. Transform your time with Him from ordinary to the extraordinary. Afterall, He is an extraordinary God and deserves extraordinary worship!

No comments: