Friday, September 18, 2009

The Power of Fear

“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity {fear}, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” 2 Tim. 1:7.

This verse is very easy to recite when addressing the fears of someone else. It is when we must apply the principle to our own fear where the rubber meets the road. I have always been very fearful of the outside dark. I am fine when enclosed in a home or a store but if I must walk in the dark from my car to my house or into a store I am dreadfully afraid. It is something that has never stopped me from accomplishing what I desired but certainly something I still hate doing to this day. I can remember when I use to run errands at night because I worked full time during the day and would drive up to my home. I would call Bruce on my way home to ensure that he would come to the front porch or stand at the window as I walked from the car to my home. The other night as I arrived to an empty home after babysitting for my grandchildren I realized that I had forgotten to leave the front porch light on. My backup plan was to dial 911 on my cell and have my finger on the send button if needed. It is more likely that I would trip and get hurt while bolting to the house in the dark than someone actually grabbing me. Bruce laughed when he heard this story and reminded me that we don’t get service down at the house. I had a false sense of security in the phone and apparently a false sense of security in God.

I was like the servant of Elisha who walked outside early in the morning and saw a great army that was going to attack them. His heart sunk with fear and despair and he reported this to Elisha (2 Kings 6:15). Verse 17 states, “So, [Elisha] answered, ‘Do not fear, for those who are with us are more than those who are with them.’” Elisha then prayed for God to open up the eyes of his servant so he could see the army of God and all of the horses and chariots surrounding them and their attackers. When facing our fears, many of us forget that we are in God's protective custody.

Fear will stop us from achieving our goals and will make us abandon our peace. Fear grasps and entraps while faith builds and frees. While fear is a normal part of life, it should never control the life of a believer. Fear and anxiety is the belief that God has somehow lost control of our situation. Fear destroys our hope and entreats us to run for cover. “Fear is certainly one of the most prevalent reasons people do not reach their goals. It is as if an alarm goes off on the inside of some people warning of a possible threat to their personhoods. Suddenly, they feel inadequate and want to abandon projects, jobs, relationships, or goals.” Charles Stanley, Success God’s Way, p. 89.

"A fearful person, or one who is inappropriately anxious, has his attention focused upon himself..Fear tends to paralyze the mind and cause it to function inadequately." Maurice Wagner, Christian counselor and author.

When we can replace fear with faith we will experience the freeing power of Christ in our lives and realize that nothing is outside of our grasp.

Indeed, “those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”

No comments: