Thursday, September 10, 2009

Love Defined

“…but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal…but have not love, I am nothing…but have not love, I gain nothing.” 1 Co. 13: 1-3 (portions)

Love is the most overused word and emotion in our society. The love we share with others is representative of the love we have been shown – good or bad. It is the platform for which we base all actions and thoughts and is a manufactured idea of an end result. It seems that we have assigned love to be something free and available to us as a gift when really we have a huge responsibility in this pursuit.

Our part of the love equation is clearly spelled out in 1 Cor. 13, and fulfillment of love is rooted in what we are doing in these relationships rather than what is being done for us. It is easy to love when we are being fulfilled but are we portraying love when our hearts are experiencing unmet expectations? Next time we are facing a difficult situation with a “loved” one let us pause and ask ourselves these questions.

Am I being patient?
Am I being envious?
Am I being kind?
Am I being proud?
Am I being self-seeking?
Am I keeping records of wrong?
Am I protecting?
Am I trusting?
Am I hoping?
Am I persevering?

Am I truly loving?
“And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” 1 Co. 13:13.

No comments: