Thursday, September 3, 2009

Faithful Focus

“For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.” 2 Chronicles 20:12b

I met with a dear friend yesterday who seems to be facing battles on every side. Just one season ago I felt the intense heat of battle on every front for which I faced. The blasts of the storms were overwhelming and devastating. Whether it was my in-laws dependency on us, my sister and dad’s battle, or comforting my grieving daughter at the death of her boyfriend the end result was this verse – I had no power to face this vast army that was attacking me.

This verse is lifted out of 2 Chron. when God was entreating King Jehoshaphat to empty out his fear and discouragement when facing the army coming against them from Edom. God’s words were “Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s…You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you…go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.” (v.15-17)

The most incredible part of this story is what followed God’s promise. The next morning they arose to face their “vast army” with celebration and worship as they entered into battle. They faced their circumstances head on but with upward eyes praising the One who they believed and knew would fight for them.

Half the battle in our circumstances is knowing that we will be delivered – not hoping. We all have vast armies that threat the very core of our beings as we journey through life. These faithful warriors had forward faith of the deliverance that would be theirs by simply believing and claiming the victory before it was ever fought.

So I ask myself in any season, "Are my eyes upon Him?"

The intensity of our faith will always be powered by our focus. What is in our lens?

No comments: