Monday, January 3, 2011

Blessed Are The Merciful

“Blessed are the merciful, because they will be shown mercy.” Matthew 5:7

There is nothing more heart wrenching than the realization that we need someone to show us mercy. We know we have wronged someone and question whether they will able to forgive and restore the relationship. For me, it was when God called me to expose my secret spending to Bruce. I knew that it would take a divine dose of mercy with my awareness that Bruce would not be able to give this to me on his own. I had created darkness for him through my lies and deceit and only through God placing His mercy into Bruce’s heart could light shine into the dark corners of hurt. This verse does not only mean God will show us mercy, but He will enable the hearts of those whom need to show mercy to us when we ask.

We cannot withhold mercy from those who ask us to forgive if we expect to receive God’s mercy. God will not give to us what we are unwilling to give to others. Thankfully, Bruce had received mercy so he was able through Christ to give mercy. He had been pardoned, so he pardoned…he had been given clemency, so he gave me clemency. Without the awareness and realization that we are shown mercy daily it will be impossible to show mercy to others. ‘To effectively give away mercy we must recognize where we have been given mercy.’ Living Your Life As a Beautiful Offering, p. 42. When we are granted mercy from someone our heart is humbled, our soul is grateful and our spirit is enlarged. When we are called to dispense mercy when someone repents for causing our hurt, we must give away the mercy that has been given to us.

‘Mercy requires that we keep short accounts of sin and injustice; have eyes to see beyond a circumstance and into the heart; learn to desire the salve of mercy more than the satisfaction of punishment; be willing to lay down our quick judgment and work on becoming compassionate.’ p. 42

Honestly speaking, there have been times in my life when I held mercy tightly in my fist. Thankfully, my awareness of my own flaws and need for mercy kept me focused on the obedience of showing mercy through receiving mercy. We do not determine to whom mercy will be given since we are all given mercy.

Mercy released is mercy returnedblessed are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.

No comments: