Thursday, January 13, 2011

Get Up...Be Strengthened!

“He came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. ‘I have had enough, LORD,’ he said. ‘Take my life.’ Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep. All at once an angel touched him and said, ‘Get up and eat.’ He looked around and there …was a cake of bread…and a jar of water. He ate and drank and then lay down again. The angel of the LORD came back a second time and touched him and said, ‘Get up and eat, for the journey is too much for you…’ So he got up and ate and drank. Strengthened by that food, he traveled forty days and forty nights until he reached…the mountain of God. There he went into a cave and spent the night.” 1 Kings 19:4b-9

These were the words of Elijah - God's mighty prophet. How many times have we nestled up under the broom tree and proclaimed ‘I HAVE HAD ENOUGH, LORD!’ I know personally I feel as Paul felt many days as he wrote in 2 Co. 4: ‘Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling…For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened…and wish to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life.’ Granted, Paul’s summation was more elegant than Elijah’s but Elijah’s was probably more relatable.

When life requires too much from us and we have nothing more to give we must believe that God does send provisions to get us through that season. We are surrounded daily with God’s divine allies encouraging, strengthening and protecting. He will always send spiritual nourishment if we will just look around and see the ‘bread and water.’ Notice that immediately following Elijah’s nourishment he went right back to sleep. I can relate to this as I work each morning to obtain the peace that is mine through Christ. Sometimes within the same hour I go right back in that hypnotic trance of discouragement and despair. Again, God finds little ways to feed me throughout the day and reminds me that He understands the journey is too much for me some days.

Our circumstances do cause us to groan for resolution and a desire to pull up stakes. That is the reason we cannot depend on our earthly tent to brave the elements. We must go to the mountain of God where we will not only see Him, but we will experience His love and protection. ‘Then the LORD said, “There is a place near me…I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand…” Exodus 33:21-22. We will be adorned with our heavenly clothing soon enough, but until then we can retreat in the cleft of our Savior and enjoy freedom in Him. ‘Now the LORD is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the LORD is, there is freedom.’ 2 Co. 3:17.

No comments: