Saturday, January 15, 2011

Horse Of Many Colors

“From heaven the LORD looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth – he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do. No king is saved by the size of his army; no warrior escapes by his great strength. A horse is a vain hope for deliverance; despite all its great strength it cannot save.” Psalm 33:13-17.

This passage makes me feel so small in the great scheme of things. Thankfully, the way my Father views me is so much more than how I view myself. He thought of me, formed me, loves me and is the Creator of my heart with all its desires. Before He acts, He considers my motives, my limitations and my intentions.

The Wizard of Oz has a scene where Dorothy and her companions enter the City of Oz and are chauffeured around in a horse-drawn carriage. Like everything else in the Emerald City, this horse is unique: it changes colors as it performs its duties—first white, then purple, then orange, then yellow. I cannot help to draw a comparison regarding the different colored horses we allow to lead and pull us.

Many times in my life I have chosen to ride a horse that has been in vain. I placed my trust in something or someone who could neither perform nor save. We tend to mount up on whatever horse we believe can take us to our desired destination. We guide our self-made steed in an effort to deliver and save us only to be disappointed in the results. We build our belief system around the strength of our own making instead of the strength of our Maker. We ride into our battles on horses with no legs and draw our swords with no blades. At best, we ride into war with one foot on our self-made horse and one foot on the back of Faithful and True. ‘I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True.’ Rev. 19:11.

Why is it so difficult to believe that our Father is indeed Creator, Protector and Deliverer? He wears many hats as He directs all of our steps at every turn. He is the God of the small and the big…the calm and the storm…the peaceful times and the fierce battles. We will lose our spiritual balance if we ride through life with a foot on each horse.

Many years ago when trying to make an important decision my father-in-law gave me and Bruce excellent advice which I pass along to you…‘Choose a horse and ride!

You can't miss Him - He's the One in white!

No comments: