Friday, January 21, 2011

Sling That Stone!

“A champion named Goliath…came out…He was over nine feet tall. He had a bronze helmet…wore a coat of scale armor of bronze…wore bronze greaves, and a bronze javelin was slung on his back…Goliath stood and shouted…For forty days the Philistine came forward every morning and evening and took his stand…Then Saul dressed David is his own tunic… ‘I cannot go in these,’ he said to Saul, ‘because I am not used to them.’ Then he took his staff in his hand, chose five smooth stones from the stream, put them in his pouch of his shepherd’s bag and, with his sling in his hand, approached the Philistine.” 1 Sam. 17-40.

Growing up, the story of David and Goliath was one of my favorite stories in the Bible. I enjoyed the image of little David coming against a giant only to be victorious in the face of impossibility. I can still remember my Sunday School teacher laying Goliath on his side on the felt board as she acted out the story.

In 2010 I discovered that this is no cute little story in reality. Over the past year I have been taunted by my own Goliath. This nine foot, 675 pound giant has stood at a distance tormenting me and hurling insults about my faith. He has been well armed by Satan who knows my insecurities and weak spots. He has taken his place every morning and evening in an effort to discredit my faith and chip away at my character. He almost convinced me that I was not strong enough to participate in this battle. Others have tried to arm me with their faith but God had to build my armor according to His wisdom. I had to allow God to gather stones in His stream that were unique to me for victory and triumph. God knows my opponent as well as He knows my abilities. Over the past year He has been filling my shepherd’s bag with the smooth stones of love, patience, wisdom, endurance, perseverance and promises.

I come to the battle armed, and am fully intended on winning. I have the Shepherd’s promise of victory and the smooth stones of triumph. I recognize that anything I do apart from the Shepherd will not bring down my giant, but in Him the battle will be won. ‘…but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies…whom you have defiled…All those gathered here will know that it is not by sword or spear that the LORD saves; for the battle is the LORD’s, and he will give all of you into our hands.’ 1 Samuel 17.

What Goliath looms in the distance in your valley? What lies are being hurled at you? Ask the Shepherd to fill your little bag from His stream and arm you with a fresh awareness of faith and new possibilities.

Sling that stone!

No comments: