Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Great Adventure

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:105.

I read the most beautiful explanation of a vision experienced by the author of my Bible Study. The vision he had was one of the Lord instructing Him to cross over the Niagara River on flat stones that were placed two to three feet apart only a few feet away from the edge of the falls. The man was extremely nervous moving from stone to stone because they were placed far enough apart to where a small leap was required. After cautiously leaping from one to another his courage was built up to the point of losing respect for the danger of the task. At that point he says that God surrounded him with total darkness except for the stone for which he was standing. He still heard the raging waters surrounding him and felt the splash on his face. At that point he reminded the Lord that He was trying to complete the task he was given and he now didn’t have the ability to move ahead. The Lord spoke to him:

‘My child, Jesus Christ is the Rock that you are standing on, and the Holy Spirit is giving you the light for the place where you are. As long as you stay in the light, standing on the Rock, you will be safe. Don’t move from where you are until I light up the next stone. You cannot leap into the darkness, hoping to land on a solid place. If you try to move forward in your own strength you will miss the rock, fall into the river, and be carried over the falls to disaster. In my time I will provide the light for your path.’

This image will forever be burned upon my heart. It is the spiritual picture story for this verse as I meditate on decisions I face in my own life. There have been many times when my heart has led my feet off of the stone that is lit up. Accompanying those detours have been times I have waded in the dark waters trying to find the lighted path. I have leapt into the darkness by relying on my own strength only to miss the rock. We cannot move ahead of God’s guidance out of our own pride, impatience or sinful choices. With each decision we must ask ourselves, ‘Are my feet moving when they should be still?'

We must wait upon the Rock and in the light of the Holy Spirit until we can move ahead confidently and obediently. He is faithful and will show us the way.

No comments: