Thursday, April 14, 2011

No Man Is An Island...

“Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith." Hebrews 13:7.

Boy do I miss my grandmother! Her faith served as the gap between my faith and God. She nursed me along in my faith and exemplified a way of living for which to pursue. When I consider the outcome of her life I consider her as one of the greatest spiritual giants for whom I have ever known. I felt the enormity of her absence this morning.

Somewhere in the corners of my heart, I believe that God is placing in me a desire for a spiritual mentor. One who is humble in spirit, faithful in walking with God and sincere in living it out in every aspect of her life. He has placed a passion in me for a woman who I have had but lost. In the middle of the night I awoke to the words in my mind, ‘No man is an island.’ It seemed odd that I heard these random words but this morning my Bible Study was on Seeking Godly Counsel. This sentence jumped out like a neon sign – ‘NO ONE IS AN ISLAND TO THEMSELVES IN CHRIST.’

We must lean in to the urgings of the Holy Spirit which will be confirmed in other ways. I have thought of the possibility over the past six months of a spiritual mentor. God knew when the time was right to impress it upon my heart only to follow up with words on the paper. I knew intuitively and instantly when reading those words that these were the words from the God I serve. My thoughts drifted to the foregone blessings that could have been mine with Grandmother serving in this role as I become more intimate with Christ. I had to remind myself that God lifted this to my heart in His timing and not my own.

Through God’s whisper in the night I will hold true to this next step for which He is leading. He will be faithful and reveal this precious godly counsel for whom I desire. Over the past five years my teachers have been my sufferings but now I will be shown someone who can shepherd me. ‘…your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:20b, 21.

It is essential in our Christian walk to posture ourselves spiritually to see God in our surroundings, to hear God in our silence and to sense God in our spirits. These are some of the ways of intimate fellowship between the Father and the child.

No comments: