Monday, April 18, 2011

Rejoice In The Lord!

“You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings – what kinds of things happened to me…In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted…” 2 Tim 3:10-12

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil 4:4-7

This is the progression of the life of a Christian. We choose to accept God as our Lord and Savior. We choose to walk in His ways, His will and His timing. We pursue deeper faith and more intimacy with Christ to enrich our lives as a Christian. As Paul stated in 2 Timothy, when we make Christ the center of our lives we will endure suffering of all types. It is through this suffering that God answers our prayers for deeper intimacy with Him and strengthens our faith. Faith cannot emerge without the challenges of trials.

Through these trials we discover the peace of God that cannot be discerned without the heartbreaks in life. We can rejoice in the knowledge that the Lord is near to us as we walk through our ‘shadows in the valley’, and can lay down our fears and anxieties. He has promised that as we choose Him for deeper intimacy, He will transcend peace over pain and faith over fear. ‘You can expect peace and joy to become a part of your daily life when you a Christian – but just like all the other benefits of the kingdom of God, these attributes come at a price - the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. Heaven knows how to put a proper price on its goods.’ Seven Keys to Hearing God’s Voice, p. 146.

Five years ago, when God called me to come to the waters and drink daily with Him, He was preparing me for five years in the dark valley. Through it all, God carried and covered me with the peace that only He can provide. I would choose every trial I have endured in my life again for fear that I would not have the faith in and fellowship with Christ that emerged from those trials.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

No comments: