Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Who Am I?

“Am I not a Benjamite, of the smallest of the tribes of Israel, and my family the least of all the families of the tribe of Benjamin? Why then do you speak like this to me?” 1 Samuel 9:21. “Then King David went in and sat before the LORD, and he said, ‘Who am I, O Sovereign LORD, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? O Sovereign LORD, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign LORD?” 2 Samuel 7:18.

These are two verses from two different men upon realizing what God was accomplishing in their lives. The two things that these men have in common are that they not only hear what God has in store for their lives but they are beyond words for the blessings for which they are receiving from God. There is no doubt in their mind to whom the glory is to be given.

I know this feeling of complete astonishment and awe as to the things that God is accomplishing in my own family. I am forever aware of my shortcomings and the shortcomings of my family which were created from the Fall of man. With this awareness I am in constant awe that despite these shortcomings the Sovereign God of the universe still chooses me and pursues me with His love. He continues to bless me apart from what I deserve. His way of dealing with me is based on His relentless and unconditional love.

Just as He loves me apart from my sins, we must love and trust Him apart from our circumstances. We can always expect God’s best for every situation in our lives. His foundation is love so anything He brings to us comes wrapped in this love. We need not fear this King of Glory but come to His feet humbly and receive what we do not deserve but He freely gives…Himself.

Who am I, O Sovereign LORD?

No comments: