Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Dancing Beyond the Waterfall

This day I call the heavens and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses.  Now choose life, so that you and your children may live” De 30:19.

This is the time of year that holds power and possibility.  It is the time of year when our focus as a family turns to journeys already taken.  It is the time of the year that offers curses or blessings.  It is the time of year that marks anniversaries of transitions from earth to heaven.  March reminds us that our hearts hurt and our family has missing pieces.  March offers the chance to see these transitions through the eyes of our loved ones or the emptiness of our own hearts.  March lays out two paths.  One path is of gratitude for their lives, and a belief that God is loving and faithful.  March also lays out another path which invites us to be victims of our circumstances, and stuck in our emotions.  When we choose to believe that God has planned all things good for all His children, we are able to experience the blessings in all circumstances.  We look beyond the grave and see them alive instead of dead.  We choose to take God at His word, when He proclaimed that death does not hold any victory. 

Yesterday, Mother and I went to place flowers on the graves of Daddy, Beth and my grandparents.  I am always surprised at the sneak attack of grief, even 7 and 8 years later.  We always say a prayer holding hands at their spot, but yesterday seemed like I couldn’t form the words.  I pushed through and I know the Holy Spirit spoke the prayer, and it was more beautiful than I ever could have prayed. As I heard myself pray, I pictured Daddy and Beth receiving everything they deserved from a sweet Father who lives up to His word.  It is easy to forget that where our loved ones reside is the place we are going.  We are all caravanning in life, and we just got separated on the road.  We’ll catch up and eventually get there and be reunited.

Not that ‘choosing life’ is easy, but it is hopeful and necessary for healing.  Choosing life sees our loved ones beyond the waterfall, dancing and worshiping the Father who created them.  Choosing life is putting the joy of heaven for them in place of the pain in our hearts on earth.  Choosing blessings is accepting God’s comfort and healing when He offers.  I don’t know what people apart from God turn to for comfort.  I’m so thankful that through Christ all separation from my loved ones is temporary, and I am guaranteed to dance beyond the waterfall with them one day.

No comments: