Friday, March 31, 2017

Places Where Humans Can't Reach

In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness.  For we do not know how we ought to pray, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans too deep for words” Romans 8:26.

I remember when I was visiting my grandmother in the nursing home her last year of life.  We were talking about prayer which prompted a question in my mind.  I asked her if she still prayed, and I will never forget her answer.  She said, ‘Oh dear, no!  I can no longer remember names and the difficulties of others.  But, the Lord knows those who are in my heart and what they need.’  With that being said, I saw her pray with a nurse within a few weeks of that statement which proves our passage.  Even at her weakest moment, the Spirit interceded, and placed prayers in her mind and heart for this nurse.

The reality is even when we are experiencing despair and words fail us, there is a beautiful Spirit within us who forms expressions of our pain and communicates it to our Father.  As our heart breaks, the Spirit groans to God to bring His comfort into our hearts.  When we are paralyzed with fear, the Spirit releases God’s peace to settle in our minds and souls.  When we are so overwhelmed with our circumstances and the future it might bring, the Spirit lifts a prayer of urgency for God to show us hope.  When God told us that we will never walk alone, the Spirit is one way that He lives up to His promise.  And when our knees are raw and our tears are flowing, we can have confidence that our unspoken prayer requests are finding their resting place on the heart of Jesus through the Holy Spirit.  With the Trinity Team how can we fail?  I leave you with the beautiful Trinitarian Benediction shared from my Bible Study this morning.

May the grace of Jesus meet you at every step today, may you be bundled in the love of God, and may the Holy Spirit fellowship with you in places no human can reach.  And if you are weak may you find Christ gloriously strong in you.  Amen.

No comments: