Friday, March 10, 2017

Groundhog Day

Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast” Psalm 139:7-10.

This is one of my favorite passages of Scripture in the entire Bible. It is an affirmation from David that God will be available in all situations. Once we are a child of God we cannot separate ourselves from that position any more than our children can separate from belonging to us. When our lives seem to be running smoothly it is heavenly. When our lives seem to be out of control we feel the depths of fear. Whether it be in the dark of the night or the rising beauty of the morning, God is always attentive to our needs. He will guide us through whatever messiness life imposes upon us, and carry us through the devastating times. He is always faithful in where He is, what He is doing and how He is accomplishing things for our benefit. We can neither outrun God nor can we out-think God. But, the blessing of this passage takes effort on our part. 

Prayer and meditation on His word are the vessels for us to receive these blessings. God doesn’t expect a daily list of prayer items. His desire is for our time with Him to be actual fellowship, an exchange of sharing our hearts. I used to believe that I had to name every prayer for others every time I prayed. My prayer life was more like Groundhog Day, having the same discussions with God each morning. I have since come to understand that true fellowship with God is similar to true fellowship with those whom I love. It is sharing my heart with God, and then waiting on Him to response in guidance, comfort or wisdom. It is a two-way flow with an audience of One who knows my heart, remembers my prayers for others and shares His love and heart on everything that flows into my life.

Whatever you are facing and wherever you are going, you can have confidence that He is up ahead, alongside, and your rear guard for whatever you face. Just talk to Him, with Him and about Him. He will not disappoint.

No comments: