Monday, March 20, 2017

Life As An Only Child

For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends” 2 Co 10:18.

Growing up in a family of 4 daughters, it was easy to constantly compare myself to them.  I always wondered what it would be like to be the only daughter, or the only child.  My constant comparison had little to do with the love of my parents for they treated us each equally in love, acceptance and support.  It was more about the desire to be someone special…someone unique…someone important.  As I grew I expanded my measuring stick to include my friends, other school mates and other church friends.  As I became an adult the search for approval and acceptance as it measured against the standards of the world became a full-frontal attack on my psyche.  It wasn’t until 45 years of age that I finally shifted my ruler to the Creator who knew my value, my heart and my purpose.  It was at that point I realized that He was the only one who could have billions of children but able to make me feel like an only child. 

When we measure anything against man, we are measuring ghosts.  Someone will also be smarter, richer, better looking, more talented, more successful…and list goes on and on.  But God has assigned our areas of worth, and when we align with that assignment we strike gold.  We live and move within our God-given talents and strengths, understanding that He delights in seeing us succeed in what He has given us.   Once we embrace our value through God’s eyes, He continues to expand our areas of influence and work.  We cannot measure up to the next level God desires for us, until we master the assignment He has given us in this season.  God did not create us to remain stagnant in life.  He created us to embrace…to be courageous…to climb mountains and conquer valleys.  A life standing still spiritually is a life without a pulse.  Pray that the Father will reveal those beautiful areas He has assigned you, and then sit back and enjoy being an only child.


And now, little children, abide in him, so that when he appears we may have confidence and not shrink from him in shame at his coming…See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are.’ 1 John 2:28-3:1.

No comments: