Monday, April 17, 2017

Collecting Shells

"But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives.  And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior." Philippians 3:20

As I find myself standing in the week that would have been my sister Beth’s birthday, a snapshot of last week entered my mind. I just returned from a Spring Break trip with my daughters and grandchildren. We went to Marco Island in Florida where the water is bright green/blue and the wide sandy beaches are like powder. Whether it was my granddaughter, Kherington or my daughter, Caroline I was given their special shells to hold while they kept walking and searching. They were entrusting me with their treasures until they returned. My daughter Kristen even took a picture of Caroline handing over one of her beautiful treasures for me to temporarily hold (see below).

This morning I am reminded of 8 years ago when we had to hand over one of our precious treasures to our Father. It was tough but we knew that He would hold her tightly in His hand. We knew that He would take perfect care of her until we returned in their presence. We knew that no matter how full His hands became there would always be room for that beautiful shell.

As we comb our beaches of blessings we must remember that living on this earth is only a temporary shadow of the real deal – Heaven. We can take comfort in the knowledge that whatever we are asked to hand over is only for a season. We can have confidence that our treasured loved ones are being held…carried…cared for...loved. Then one day we will come together with our Father and be once again reunited with our beautiful shells.

That will be a collection like no other!


No comments: