Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Sketching the Face of Jesus

“‘Who do people say the Son of Man is?’ Some say…others say…and still others… ‘But what about you? Who do you say I am?’ Blessed are you for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven.’” Matthew 16:13b-17.
I absolutely LOVE to watch shows like ID Investigates and Snapped where we are brought along with the storyline of crime and conclusion. My son, Michael even used to kid me about my obsession with watching them. I always thought it was interesting how different witnesses would sketch the face of the suspect while trying to identify the person. Many times, there was such a disparity between witnesses, that the two sketches didn’t even look like the same man.
It is no wonder we live in spiritual confusion and disarray with our many opportunities to sketch the face of Jesus. One sketches their view of who He is, rendering Him unrecognizable to another person. We sketch the face of Jesus based upon our perception of Him, and who we believe Him to be. Years ago, when my faith was surface and my walk was shallow, my sketch of Jesus was so different than it would be today. I believed Him for so little, so I perceived so little of Him and His activity in my life. I would perceive God from the standpoint of who man said He was…not who God said He was. As I began studying His word, He began unfolding His character and heart on every topic under the sun. His word is clear on life, and the promises that He desires each one of us to believe. The more we are in the Bible, the more clarity the sketch develops.
God is who He says He is, and He will do what He says He will do. If God seems mysterious and difficult to wrap our minds around we should examine His character more closely. The best place to start sketching Jesus Christ is at the base of the cross. The beginning and the end of who Christ is was motivated by His love to die so that we might live. Love and sacrifice will always be the first marks on the sketch of Jesus. Then one sweet day we will see Him face to face and prayerfully recognize Him by our own rendering.

No comments: