Thursday, February 8, 2018

A Community of One

"No…my life is much too bitter for you to share...” Ruth 1:13

Grief of any kind is a strange companion.  One person might look to others to fill in the heartbreaking gaps, while another person might push others away.  Neither way is right or wrong, it’s just how our grief manifests in each of our lives.  I learned years ago that grief is as unique as the people it strikes, and to fully heal is to fully grieve.  Much like Naomi, I remember a time in my life when I was scared to death of losing a child.  It was an 8-year span and a time like no other.  R[ding the emotional roller-coaster left me wearied, depleted and empty.  I grieved the health of my child…grieved her absence from our home…grieved broken dreams that I had for her.  I eventually learned that the details of my circumstances changed so quickly that I lacked the emotional stamina to keep my family and friends up to date.  I eventually wrote a letter to all of them stating that I was just too burdened to talk about things.  I pleaded for distance, which they hesitantly respected.  As far as I could see, their horizons were full of hope and joy, while mine was full of pain and heartbreak.  I remember that time as having a Naomi heart…a broken heart without the desire to be in community any longer.

But God never meant for anyone to experience life alone, especially in grief.  There are certainly times when we need to withdraw to allow God to heal our hearts.  But also, it is important to know that God has surrounded us with a divinely-appointment community.  A beautiful encampment of people who walks with us, before us and behind us.  They hold our hands as we face empty tomorrows, and they speak the beautiful memories that will hold our hearts forever.  They are the heart prints of God during times when we are overcome with sadness.

God has used so many precious people in my life over the years to encourage me, comfort me and experience His enduring grace.  Through the beauty of community horizons seem brighter, hearts seem a little warmer and hope points to the eternal.  Community takes courage, a grateful heart and an open spirit.

Then the LORD God said, ‘It is not good for the man to be alone.  I will make a helper.”  Gen 2:18.


No comments: