Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Graduating Class of ?

When I was a senior in High School graduation was quickly approaching. Our teacher informed us that we would get a numerical listing of our academic position in the graduating class. I remember being anxious about my position in a class of approximately 400 students. When I saw my listing, I remember thinking that I was thankful for where my GPA rested. But upon further consideration the reality seeped in that I could have done better…I could have studied more…I could have worked up to my potential. I realized that I was standing at a moment in time that was the culmination of my high school decisions. Nothing could be added, and nothing could be taken away. The day was quickly approaching, and my position in the class was determined.

Thankfully, in the spiritual world our position in Christ doesn’t depend on our performance or intelligence. Because He went before us, and perfectly lived His life we are assured a Graduation Day like no other. When the Headmaster calls us to our day we will walk across a bridge into glory instead of a stage into an auditorium. We will approach our day in equal position since Jesus did the work. We will be adorned with crowns and holy garments instead of a cap and gown. We will be handed the keys to the kingdom instead of a blank diploma. I wonder who will be in my graduating class when the day comes? Who will I walk arm in arm with to receive the glory of God? Only the Father knows when we have reached that goal of going home. It will not matter whether we ever walked across a stage on earth. What will matter is that because Christ did everything right, we gain access to everything. Beth was in the Class of 2009, and Daddy was in the Class of 2010.

Heaven is the great equalizer for all of us. There will be no more comparing…no more jockeying for those top spots. No more feelings of not being good enough. We will each be rewarded for the contributions in the Kingdom that we made on earth. The Bible states that while God doesn’t have favorites, every one of us as believers are favored, chosen and fully loved. It will be a beautiful day when I exchange my cap and gown for crowns and linen. The Headmaster’s banquet hall will be filled with spiritual valedictorians. But for now, I must be heaven-minded, focusing on the things that impact the lives of others. When we shift our gaze from the futile offerings of the world to the future glory of heaven, we gain perspective of what is important in the now.

"Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12



No comments: