Saturday, February 24, 2018

Dressing for Beauty

Wash, put on perfumed oil, and wear your best clothes…notice the place where he is…uncover his feet, and lie down. Then he will explain to you what you should do.” Ruth 3:3-4

When I met Bruce, I was an insecure young woman of 24 years of age. I met him through Human Resources at Duke Power when I decided to transfer from Lancaster, SC to Charlotte, NC. He was involved with these transfers, and his office was the department who handled the interviews. Within a month I had a job that happened to be around the corner from his office. Over the next month or so, my feelings for him began to form and each morning I prepared myself to look my best. It was an exciting time, a time that I still think back and relive. Thirty-four years later the love is still going strong, but the perfume has been replaced with lotion and my best clothes are reserved for special occasions.

There is another Love for whom we prepare ourselves as Christians. It is our God who is love…perfect love. We must wash ourselves in His word daily, cleansing our hearts and minds. We must put on the perfumed oil, the lovely fragrance of the Holy Spirit who dwells deep in our hearts. We must wear our best clothes when we approach Him, our robes of righteousness. Every day we should look for Him and His activity that surrounds us. By uncovering His footsteps and following His lead we can lie down at His feet when He urges us to ‘Be still and know.’ We lie down at His feet in worship and surrender as He provides everything required for this life.

This is how we prepare our time with the One we love. When we come to Him in intimate fellowship, He will explain what we should do…when we should act …where we must go. I love this beautiful passage as it relates to our Redeemer who has our entire lives planned out. Through spending time in the Word, prayer and meditation He gives us everything we need.

So wash…put on the oil…wear your best clothes!

"He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments..." Rev 3:5


No comments: